HYPERPROLACTINEMIA AND ANEMIA IN HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS
Aims: To determine the relationship of prolactin (PL) levels with the frequency of anemia and the level of cardiovascular events in patients with CKD VD stage.
Material and methods: A prospective cohort study included 55 patients with CKD VD stage with anemia. Serum prolactin levels were determined in all patients.
Results and discussion: 24 patients (44%) had normal levels of PL, and 31 (56%) patients had elevated levels of PL. It was determined that PL had a negative correlation with hemoglobin level (r = -0.42; p = 0.01), as well as a negative correlation with albumin level (r = -0.38; p = 0.02). The frequency of cardiovascular events after 12 months. In patients with elevated levels of PL was significantly higher than in patients with normal levels of PL: 17 events (55%) vs 4 events (17%) (χ2 8.4, p = 0.004).
Conclusions: The prevalence of hyperprolactinemia in our study was 56%. Elevated levels of PL are associated with lower levels of hemoglobin, lower levels of albumin and an increased frequency of cardiovascular events.
2. Kolesnyk MO, redaktor. Natsionalnyi reiestr khvorykhna khronichnu khvorobu nyrok ta patsiientiv z hostrym poshkodzhenniam nyrok : 2017 rik. Kyiv; 2018. 183 s. [In Ukrainian].
3. Lakshmi D., Meerа K.S., Mahesh E. Serum prolactin level and inflammation in chronic kidney disease. International Journal Of Biochemistry Research & Review. 2016;14(1):1-9.
4. Lo J. C., Beck G. J., Kaysen G. A. et al. Hyperprolactinemia in end stage renal disease and effects of frequent hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2017;21(2):190-196. doi: 10.1111/hdi.12489.
5. Melmed S., Casanueva F.F., Hoffman A.R. et al. Diagnosis and treatment of hyperprolactinemia: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2011;96(2):273-88.
6. Stumpe KO et al. Hyperprolactinaemia and antihypertensive effect of bromocriptine in essential hypertension. Identification of abnormal central dopamine control. Lancet 1977;2:211-4.
7. Wallaschofski H, Lohmann T, Hild E, Kobsar A, Siegemund A, Spilcke-Liss E, et al. Enhanced platelet activation by prolactin in patients with ischemic stroke. Thromb Haemost 2006;96:38-44.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.